PRESS RELEASE: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Kenya, July 16, 2021: At present, we converse as environmentalists, conservationists, civil society organizations and advocates of the earth to demand motion from our leaders, beginning with the President of Kenya, the Directorate of Prison Investigations (DCI), the Kenya Forestry Service and the Ministry of Surroundings and Forestry, to completely examine the homicide of Joannah Stutchbury. This Kenyan Environmental Defender was killed yesterday, fifteenth July 2021, at round 16h35 (EAT) simply outdoors her house. Kenyan authorities should be sure that the killers, who dared to homicide her in broad daylight, face the total pressure of the legislation.
The preamble of our Structure states that we’re “RESPECTFUL of the surroundings, which is our heritage, and decided to maintain it for the good thing about future generations” Article 42 ensures all Kenyans the fitting to a clear and wholesome surroundings. Except environmental defenders are successfully protected, we will probably be pressured to proceed to attend their burial ceremonies. Their solely crime was to face and defend the Structure that we dearly love.
Crimes towards the surroundings are the fourth largest felony enterprise – _only medication, counterfeiting, and human trafficking beats it. Environmental crimes (consultants choose the time period ecocide) ranks increased than the gross sales of unlawful arms. Threats to energetic environmental protectors have claimed the lives of the brave ivory investigator Esmond Bradley Martin, Esther Mwikali, Sengwer Robert Kiprotich, and compelled Phyllis Omido and different environmental defenders into hiding not too long ago.
We’re alarmed on the fee at which human rights activists, environmentalists, and conservationists are threatened, harassed and killed every day in Kenya and worldwide. On the similar time, the perpetrators proceed to scour the nation free from any repercussions.
Joannah was a devoted and dedicated conservationist and an envoy of the forest who by no means turned a blind eye when she noticed illegalities inside the Kiambu forest. We consider that is the rationale why she was killed.
We’re totally cognizant and applaud the President, His Excellency Uhuru Kenyatta, for condemning this act of cowardice from the perpetrators. Certainly, they noticed no different approach to silence our beloved Joannah – who made daring statements favouring the surroundings, together with defending our forests – however by killing her.
For that reason, we, as organizations from all components of the nation, the African area, and the world, condemn this mindless killing and name for justice for Joannah and all the opposite environmental and human rights activists who’ve misplaced their lives whereas defending the integrity of the environment and pure heritage. These fierce and brave defenders have met their premature loss of life whereas attempting to go away behind a greater world for the subsequent technology, for being the voices and guardians of the bushes within the forests that give us the oxygen that we breathe and the wildlife that draws billions of shillings as overseas forex from the vacationers that go to this nation.
Defending our surroundings, wetlands, and forests is just not non-compulsory. It’s a precondition for the survival of Kenya.
It’s for all of the above causes that we demand:
A. The President
Make sure the DCI takes this matter severely and correct investigations are performed.
Direct the Ministry of Surroundings and Forestry, in addition to the Kenya Forestry Service, to give you a plan of defending and, the place acceptable, gazetting all forest lands in Kenya to protect them from land grabbers who see the forests as alternatives to complement themselves on the expense of the environment and all Kenyans.
Nurture, defend and improve the capability of forest-dwelling and indigenous communities, just like the Ogiek and Sengwer, to defend and defend our forests, lakes, and rivers.
To direct, with quick impact, environmental activists’ to cease being labelled as anti-development, nay-sayers, disruptors, or a nuisance.
B. The Directorate of Prison Investigation
To completely examine Joannah’s homicide and never depart any stone unturned of their pursuit of the perpetrators. Additional, to make public their standing report inside 14 days henceforth (by thirtieth July 2021)
To prosecute the perpetrators, together with their brokers and accomplices, of this cowardly and heinous act and be sure that justice is met.
C. The Ministry of Surroundings and Forestry
Coordinate with different related ministries and authorities departments to make sure our surroundings and forests should not afterthoughts every time any choices (be it growth initiatives or in any other case) are made.
Work with surroundings activists, conservationists, forest-dwelling, and indigenous communities to achieve a grassroots – grass tops answer to guard our surroundings, forests, rivers, and swamps from land grabbers.
This assertion has been endorsed by the organizations and entities under:
1. deCOALonize Marketing campaign Kenya
3. Amnesty Worldwide Kenya
4. The Defenders Coalition
5. Middle for Justice Governance & Environmental Motion
6. Daima Coalition for Inexperienced Areas safety
7. Centre for Pure Useful resource Governance – Zimbabwe.
8. Attorneys for Animal Safety in Africa
9. Centre for Residents Conserving (CECIC)
10. Inuka Afrika
11. Ubuntu Management Academy
12. Champions for Human Rights Training, Mentorship & Advocacy (CHEMA – Initiative)
13. Biogas Worldwide Ltd
14. Mt. Kenya Community Discussion board
15. Artistic Spills
16. Southern African Religion Communities Surroundings Institute (SAFCEI)
17. Nationwide Surroundings Civil Society Alliance of Kenya
18. Centre for Human Rights and Civic Training
19. Arid Lands Motion Discussion board
20. St. Anne Nosirai main conservation membership.
21. Middle for justice governance & Environmental Motion
22. Africa Coal Community
23. Greenpeace Africa
24. Group Motion for Nature Conservation CANCO
25. Africa Coal Community
27. Lekeh Growth Basis LEDEF Nigerian Coal Community
28. Inexperienced World Kenya
29. Pure Justice
30. Centre for Different Growth, Zimbabwe
31. Conservation Training Society
32. Kenya Environmental Motion Community (KEAN)
33. Wild Legislation Institute
34. Sierra Leone College Inexperienced Golf equipment (SLSGC)
35. The Inexperienced Connection
36. MindMe Worldwide, Daima Coalition, Youth4SDGs- Kenya.
37. Amara Conservation
40. Centre for Pure Useful resource Governance (CNRG)
41. Energy Shift Africa
42. Sustaining the Wild Coast
43. Anglican Church of Southern Africa – Surroundings Community (ACSA EN)
44. Southern African Religion Communities’ Surroundings Institute (SAFCEI)